Monday, October 20, 2014

Late Night Arrival

I've had a couple weeks to reflect on a couple events.  It was 10:30 one night and the dogs were going crazy.  I looked outside and could tell they were barking at the gate about 100 yards away.  I turned out the lights and tried to watch with them.  I had been looking for about 3 minutes when 2 men ran across the field.  I immediately contacted the closest missionary family to me, to see if they were aware.  While the phone was ringing her husband shot across the field on his Polaris.  

I was finally able to reach his wife and she said there was some commotion at the gate and that she had seen our nurse (Sheryl) take off that direction.  I knew immediately we had an emergency burn.  The two men, were in fact workers of ours that had run for the gate when they heard all the noise.  I got dressed and headed to the clinic.  Upon entering there were probably 15 people in the lobby of the clinic and someone moaning in the exam room.  I entered to find Sheryl and one of our team members trying to get an IV in an elderly woman.  Nicky was helping get things set up too.  I put on gloves and became the person talking with the patient, trying to keep her calm, and holding her burned arm, with the IV.  She had been electrocuted at a well, and had many exit wounds.  She was burned on both legs, her stomach, both arms, and the back of her head.

It was serious.  She told me she was 68.  She was able to answer most questions but was also somewhat disoriented occasionally.  The back of her head was mush and we knew there was some head trauma too.  In talking with her to keep her alert, I asked if she was converted.  She said not yet.  I began to share with her.  I wish this story ended with her accepting the Lord, but unfortunately it doesn't.  We rushed to get her wounds dressed so we could send them to a hospital.  She was going into shock and she needed more than we could provide.  She said she didn't want to pray to accept Jesus but we prayed with everyone and sent her on her way.  Apart from a miracle she wasn't going to make it, and I knew when she left here, unless she prayed on the way there, she was going to die without a relationship with Christ.  It's a sad reality.

I finally got back to the house around 12:30 AM.  As I laid there in my bed, I was reminded of my friend Tony, that was recently burned by electrocution.  He fought hard for a month and I have a little better understanding, what he went through.  My heart broke for his family and I prayed for extra comfort that night for Tony's family and friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment