Sunday, January 12, 2014

On the Ground and Running

I have been on the ground in Haiti for almost two weeks.  I am really trying to get a grasp on the language and enjoying relationship building with Haitian, other short-termers, and getting to know other missionaries here a little better.  My first week, we had a team from Canada and a couple Americans here. They were teaching 175 Haitian young adults about Chrisitan leadership and how to conduct camps and ministries.  The sessions were incredible and the worship services were phenomenal. It was a challenging week for everyone.

This past week I worked a little in the clinic and have been doing some things around the office. The clinic is really busy. Of course I love holding the babies but we have a special littl girl in the clinic right now. She was burned last May and is still visiting. She is in foster care so she doesn't come regularly and has terrible scarring.  She is desperate for love. She wants to be snuggled and held.  She doesn't get much attention where she is and isn't getting emotional needs met.  She isn't getting the physical therapy she needs.  Coming from someone who has had their fair share of physical therapy, I can really see the importance of it and how she is lacking.

We had the elderly feeding program Monday and will again tomorrow. They bless me each week.  Today, I saw the first baby I ever held in Haiti. Such a sweet gentle 14 year old today.  Every time I see him and his brothers, I pray God protects them from the evils of this world and that they will grow up to be Godly men grounded in their faith.  For his 12 year old brother, I gave him his first haircut when he was 10 months old. I remember taking the clippers and shaving his massive fro bald. So energetic but cuddly now.  Love that God can keep these boys around for a constant reminder of my first love of this country and his people.

No comments:

Post a Comment