Monday, June 13, 2016

Mountain Highs to Valley Lows and God's Faithfulness Through it All

Well, Friday, I made my way back to Haiti.  It was a week later than scheduled but nonetheless, I arrived safe and sound.  The last 3 weeks have been a whirlwind of emotions.  The next to last week of May, I wrapped up my first year as an assistant at College View Middle School.  It was a wonderful year and I absolutely loved my job.  Some days were better than others but the kiddos were great.  I never saw myself working with middle school students but I love them.

The last week of May and beginning of June, I was serving on the mission field in Memphis, TN.  A group of 30 people from my church, Walnut Memorial Baptist, traveled to Memphis.  It was a great time of serving the Lord but also, a revival for our group.  There were bonds made that will never be broken and I pray we continue to serve alongside each other.  There were two salvations and many seeds planted and watered.

The Wednesday we were in Memphis forever changed my life.  I received a call that a young man that was VERY near to my heart lost his life in a horrific automobile accident.  Zachary was a sweet, 18 year old kid that we all felt had a life ahead of him.  However, we were reminded of just how short life can be, and the importance of a relationship with Christ.  Those that knew Zach have learned so much from him.  We learned to not sweat the small stuff, to fully trust God and not stress over the petty things of life, to serve others wholeheartedly, love unconditionally, and SMILE often (or always in his case).  Though we mourn him, we know God provides peace, comfort, and love for us during this time.

The Thursday after Zach passed away, I was contacted and told that I had a teaching job at College View Middle School starting in August.  That was a huge answer to prayer and very welcomed good news!!!!

After celebrating Zach's life and being encouraged by the faith of his sweet family, I headed to Haiti.  I have seen Zach's smile in so many young Haitian children, I have felt his embrace in so many friends here, and I was even able to share his story, my first day here.  A young 20 something year old man shared with me he was going to live to be an old man and didn't have anything to worry about now.  I was able to share that we were fortunate to know that Zach had a relationship with Christ and had confessed his sins and accepted Jesus as his personal Lord and Savior.  However, we thought Zach would live for many more years, but that wasn't the case.  I continue to pray for this young man and pray he makes a profession of faith before it's too late.
KEEP SMILING





No comments:

Post a Comment