Monday, March 24, 2014

Lee University Women's Basketball Gift to the Haitians


I packed a bag several months ago and it recently arrived.  I opened it to find Lee University uniforms and shoes that Coach Marty Rowe and his team had donated.  I remember my last day of work in the Admissions Office when I turned around and the seniors and captains of the Lady Flames basketball team were standing in my office.  One held a jersey, one held a pair of uniform shorts, and another a pair of shoes.  I had no idea what was going to happen but then Coach Rowe began explaining to me that they wanted to donate them to a Haitian team.  I was blown away at such a generous gift.  Being a part of a Coach Rowe team was not just about wins and losses.  It was about a family and learning life lessons, about learning to care about those around you more than yourself, learning to find a need in others and help them out, learning to work together as one body rather than trying to work as a bunch of individuals.



The uniforms went to a youth church group.  It was such a blessing and boy did they enjoy them.  As I handed them out and saw the smiles on their faces, I thought back to my childhood teams, middle school, high school, and college days when we would get new gear.  It was always so exciting.  It's like that first day of school and picking out the perfect new outfit.



However, these students were in their late teens and early 20's and probably have never received a new uniform.  I was so happy for them and wished the women's basketball team could have been here to share in this opportunity and even play against these guys.  Two things that have played such an important role in my life meeting together (the Haitian people and Lee University Basketball).  I was so blessed to have been a part of the women's basketball family for so many years and to server here in Haiti.


We didn't have all the right sizes so the shoes have been going out to some of our sponsorship kids.  These three brothers came and two needed a pair of shoes for school but just image when they all 3 got brand new athletic shoes.  SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO EXCITED!!!!!  Thanks Lee University Lady Flames and congrats on an incredible season!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment